Safety Tips and Insurance Options for Boats
According to information provided in a report by the U.S. Coast Guard, in 2009 there were 4,730 boating accidents which resulted in $36 million in damages to property. Accidents went down 1.2 percent from what they were in 2008, but there were still plenty of accidents to make the boating community remain concerned about following the proper guidelines for safety as well as purchasing the correct kind of insurance coverage for their marine vehicles.
Safety tips for Boating
Safety tips for boats depend on the type of boat you have, but there are three basic tips for safety that will help any boater prevent injury or accidents.
- Never drink while driving your boat: Boats are basically cars on water and so drivers should still be careful and remain in control of their faculties so that they can operate them properly. Passengers on the boat may choose to drink, but the driver never should.
- Boat in a familiar place: You may feel comfortable venturing out because you have a GPS device, but sailing in familiar waters will help you protect yourself and your passengers from dangers you would face sailing somewhere you’ve never been. It will also keep you from getting lost in case your GPS fails you.
- Wear a life jacket at all times: The North American Safe Boating Campaign advises choosing a life preserver based on whatever activities you plan on taking part in, as you wear it. This makes it possible for you to wear a life preserver that’s comfortable and protective for whatever activity you participate in.
Options for Insurance
Same as with auto insurance, insurance for boats gives you the option to buy many different types of coverage, including:
- Comprehensive coverage
- Bodily injury liability
- Roadside assistance
- Collision coverage
- Uninsured watercraft
- Insured watercraft
- Medical Payments
However boats have different needs than cars so there’s some special types of coverage made for boat owners, such as the following:
- Endorsement for repair costs
- Personal possessions
- Boat trailer coverage
- On-water towing
- Coverage for fishing equipment
Knowing and understanding the options you have for boat insurance is only half the struggle. To know exactly what you need to, you should get together with an insurance agent and start the process of getting coverage. With the right boat insurance, you can boat safely and as much as you want.